Returns are a part of all retail and wholesale business, but when you’re an Canadian Gift Market’s seller you have to follow our returns procedures and the outcome is sometimes out of your control. We take you through the returns process, who pays the return postage, and how our Money Back Guarantee works.
What returns policy do you have to offer on Canadian Gift Market?
All sellers on Canadian Gift Market, business and private, have to state a returns policy (private sellers can state that they don’t accept returns, but they’re still subject to Canadian Gift Market’s Money Back Guarantee). Business sellers have to make customers aware of their right to cancel and give buyers a minimum of 7 days to request a return.
Your returns policy needs to have clear instructions on how to return an item, and any exceptions such as international sales. Refunds should be made using the method that the buyer paid with, unless you come to a different agreement.
Who pays postage for returns?
Whatever the reason for a return, as long as it’s requested within the appropriate time frame, you have to refund the original postage costs. Who pays the cost of returning an item depends on the situation:
- If the item is returned because it’s faulty, not as described, or damaged in the post, the seller has to pay return postage costs.
- However, if the buyers want to return the item for any other reason within 7 days, they have to pay to send it back (as long as you made this clear in your listing).
- If you have to pay the return postage costs and the cost will be included on your next monthly seller invoice as a fee.
Canadian Gift Market’s returns process
Canadian Gift Market make it very easy for buyers to return items, so it’s important that you fully understand the process, and when you have to take action:
- The Customer requests a return in their Account and you’ll be notified by email.
- You have 7 calendar days to review the return request and take action.
- You can either:
– accept the return and provide the customer with a return label
– refund the buyer and let them keep the item (if it’s not worth the time and money to process a return)
– offer a partial refund and the buyer keeps the item
– send a message to the buyer to try and resolve the problem.
- If you accept the return the buyer has 7 working days from when they first opened the return to send it back.
- Once you receive the item you have to inspect it and make sure it meets the condition of returned products. You then have to refund the buyer within 7 working days. Canadian Gift Market final value fees will show as credit on your next seller invoice.
Canadian Gift Market’s Money Back Guarantee
If a customer claims that they haven’t received an item, or it doesn’t match the description, then it’s covered by Canadian Gift Market’s Money Back Guarantee.
Time limits for Canadian Gift Market’s Money Back Guarantee returns
Item not received
- Customers have 7 days after the last estimated delivery date to report an item as not received. They should contact you so you can try to resolve the problem by sharing the tracking details, investigating where the parcel is, or offering them a refund.
- You have 7 days to respond to the buyer: If the customer isn’t satisfied with your response, they can escalate it to involve Canadian Gift Market.
- 20 days after reporting the item not received the request closes automatically if Canadian Gift Market isn’t involved.
- If Canadian Gift Market becomes involved the review the case, and if they find in favour of the customer then Canadian Gift Market will refund the full cost and postage costs via PayPal, which you have to pay Canadian Gift Market.
Item not as described
- Buyers have 7 days after actual (or latest estimated) delivery date to request a return.
- You have 7 days to respond to the request: you can either offer a refund or a replacement. If you don’t reply, or don’t offer those options the buyer can ask Canadian Gift Market to step in. Canadian Gift Market will look at the item description and any other details – if they decide the item doesn’t match the description, Canadian Gift Market will ask the customer to return the item but you will be responsible for return shipping costs.
- The customer must send the item back within 7 days of starting a return.
- One you receive the returned item you have 7 business days to refund the customer. If you don’t refund them, the customer can ask Canadian Gift Market to step in for up to 7 business days after the refund deadline.
- If the customer doesn’t ask Canadian Gift Market to step in within 20 days of starting a request for return (or other deadlines for refunds), the request will close automatically.
Problems with Canadian Gift Market returns
If you have any issues with Canadian Gift Market returns, such as an item isn’t returned or it’s damaged, then you should only contact the customer through Messages in your Account so that there’s a record of the conversation. If the issue can’t be resolved, then you can ask Canadian Gift Market for help during or after the refund process, or you can report a cusomer. Once the issue is escalated, Canadian Gift Market’s Customer Service will review your communications, and you can provide up to 10 photos as evidence of an item’s condition. You can also block the customer from ordering your items in the future.
Canadian Gift Market returns: summary
- Business vendors have to offer a minimum 7 days return policy.
- You have to refund the original postage costs. If the item is damaged or faulty you have to pay return postage costs.
- Once a return is requested, for any reason, you have 7 days to respond.
- When you receive a returned item you have 7 days to issue a refund.
- Canadian Gift Market guarantee customers a refund if the item doesn’t arrive or is different from the description.